Monday, December 12, 2011

Amateur Hour

This is a totally different topic than usual.  But I have to express some exasperation somewhere, and this is the place!

I have been affiliated with a dance group over some time.  With 22 years in, that makes me a junior member.  The hierarchy consists of people who have rank - I do not even have a vote, actually.

Over the years they have taken advantage of my theatre experience.  It has not been very unusual for me to have to give a light cue, pull off the headset, go out onstage, perform my dance, leave the stage, and give the next cue.  Or my personal favorite of all time: put in the music CD for my piece, go out and dance, leave the stage, and cue up the sound for the next dancer!  Meanwhile, the divas among them powder their noses in the dressing room, oblivious to the chaos their lack of planning and amateur theatrics is causing backstage.  Happily, for the most part, because of the efforts of two of us, there have been no real disasters, but the toll taken on the few of us who manage to run things seems not worth it.  Sometimes I have gotten $150 for several weeks' work, sometimes not much of anything at all.  Maybe someone thanks us.  Maybe not. 

The latest stupidity comes two days before what is supposed to be a gala performance.  We were to kick things off with a champagne reception.  One of the dancers said she knew someone who would supply finger food for free, only she forgot to tell him in time.  Since it's Christmas season, the person cannot devote time to a free order, so guess what?  No food.

Except there's sushi.  Maybe.  But no one knows.  For 200 people?  With champagne?  Is there champagne?  That was supposed to be donated too. 

I have worked in the theatre since I was 14 years old.  The first thing we all learned, whether we were performers, tech people, designers or managers, was that the theatre requires a great deal of work, and depends heavily on everyone doing his or her job.  One person screws up, the whole performance will suffer. 

That said, it is difficult for full-time workers to put on a professional production by ourselves.  But one of the good things about New York is that we are surrounded - nay, drowning - in theatre workers willing to pitch in, often for a few bucks.  Also, this being a major metropolitan area, we have people who, for a fee, will supply food and drink on demand.  Crazy, but it works.

And my orei this time?  I have no idea, but whatever it is, I am splitting it with my fellow sufferer.  We both deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment